Eleven-Read like a reader

This is the link to the story I read to make this reflection-Eleven

Predict: I predict this story is about someone’s eleventh birthday because, from the title and 1st paragraph the character is talking about getting older. Specifically turning eleven like when she said “And you don’t feel eleven at all. You feel like you’re still ten. And you are–underneath the year that makes you eleven.”

Questions: Why does she wish she was 102 because she would have less life left? Why was she so sad about the sweater when she could have just said it wasn’t hers in the first place? Why is Mrs. Price so mean about Rachel putting the sweater on?

Infer: I inferred that the character was a girl because Sylvia said it was Rachel’s and so Mrs. Price gave it to the main character (Rachel). I also infer that Mrs. Price didn’t react to Phyllis claiming the sweater because she didn’t want to admit she was wrong.

Connect: I connect with Rachel when she said that you don’t feel a difference when you turn eleven and it takes time to feel older. She said “Or maybe some days you might need to sit on your mama’s lap because you’re scared, and that’s the part of you that’s five. And maybe one day when you’re all grown up maybe you will need to cry like if you’re three, and that’s okay.”

Feel: This story makes me feel a bit sad for Rachel because she is having a bad day on her birthday and she can’t build up the courage to point out that the red sweater isn’t hers. I also think Sylvia feels quite happy with herself for lying about whose sweater it was to be mean to Rachel.

Evaluate: What pulled me in this story was Rachel’s insight on turning eleven in the 1st paragraph. I thought it was interesting and similar to my own opinion. Some particular parts of the story lost me and some parts sounded a bit repetitive.