This week’s prompt was:
…the tiger was blocking our escape…
The thunder of clapping from the rest of crowd bombarded my ears as the trapeze artist finished her act. Then I spotted the tiger and its tamer at the side getting ready to go. He walked on and brought the tiger in the cage onto the stage with him. Then I heard it growl fiercely at everyone and amazingly it knocked the cage open with its head! Everyone was screaming and most people managed to escape except for some including me! We ran towards the exit but the tiger was blocking our escape. In an instant the tiger leaped at me…
This week’s prompt was:
…as the door slammed, I knew…
“Jonathan!” I shouted. My son walked in the room with a somewhat dreary look on his face. “I just got a call from the principal.”
“Don’t give me that mister. Did you punch someone at school?” He looked back at me and down to the ground but said nothing. This was his way of saying ‘yes I did but I don’t want to tell you’. After a couple of minutes silence he ran off to his room and as the door slammed, I knew I had to go in there. Here I go.
This week’s prompt was to write a report based on this photo:
A recent crime has been reported. The details include a man who was allegedly pushed into a swamp and was left there for 5 hours until a small child bravely pulled the man out and the ambulance was contacted to take him to the hospital. His current condition is stable but doctors are concerned that the water and mud he ingested during the time he was submerged in the swamp might have a more long-term effect on his lungs. There are several suspects that the police are currently interrogating. Please contact the police if you have any information about the incident.
This 100WC was based on my holidays:
It all happened so fast. It started when I was walking down the beach and I found a nice and cosy little cafe so I decided to have a small meal before I met my friends for lunch. As I was ordering I heard laughing and shouting outside on the beach. I peeked out the window and saw kite boarders surfing along the water at incredible speeds. I was told my food would be ready soon and I went off to sit outside. I noticed the wind was picking up and then suddenly I saw a kite boarder come hurling towards me by the wind…
This week’s prompt is:
…so, what lies ahead of…
I’m woken by a piercing ringing. I sit up and peer out the window. The whole backyard is covered in fog but a small ball emitting a suspicious luminescence floats in the centre of it. I slowly ease the window up and slither through. I’m out in the cold and I can still hear the ringing obviously coming from the bright ball. Suddenly it starts moving away, picking up speed and heading straight for the forest. I sprint to follow it and when I enter the forest I feel a cold breeze push against me. So, what lies ahead of me in this uncanny forest?
This week’s prompt was:
…then suddenly it went dark…
I was so psyched for today’s robbery. I’m such an advanced criminal if I do say so myself but today was going to top it all off. The most stereotypical robbery. A bank robbery. Tonight at 8:00 I’m pulling it off with 6 other mates.
It’s 7:57. We’re just about to sneak inside when I see a foot from around the corner. Then a cop steps around the corner and we all draw our guns and shoot. We shot several shots before he shoots his own right at my heart then suddenly it went dark and I woke up looking at a sign that said ‘Ĥëll’.
This week’s prompt was an image:
This was an amazing experience. Seeing all these cute seals spread out on this historic rock was just breathtaking. Our boat stopped and rocked calmly while we took photos. I didn’t. I just wanted to enjoy the moment rather than trying to capture it on camera. Then I spotted 1 particular seal that was leaning on a rock. Another seal came along and it looked like it said something to the first seal. Next thing I know the first seal is lying on the ground. It didn’t look right. It was as if it was laughing hysterically.
I found it interesting when Rowan said that Charles is Laurie’s imaginary friend because Charles was very naughty and maybe that reflected that Laurie was naughty as well. It might be that all the things that Laurie said Charles did Laurie did. This could mean Laurie came up with an imaginary friend that had traits like himself.
I found it interesting when Emma said the dad and Laurie were the main characters because I thought it was written from the mum’s point of view therefore she was the main character as well as Laurie. The dad was also concerned for Laurie and Charles’ influence but I think the mum delved deeper into the situation because she was the one who went to the P.T.A meeting and investigated.
I found it interesting when Tara said Laurie lied to his parents because he didn’t fit in at school and wanted to look cool by having Charles as a cool story to bring home to his parents. This view made me think about other things in Laurie’s life that he could have lied about to be cool.
I read a story called Charles to make this reflection:
- I think the author made Laurie act slightly ruder after his first day at school to say that when you start school you are at a different stage in life where you are older and not mature yet but not a sweet little kid anymore. I think it’s debatable whether Laurie or the mum is the main character because Laurie is the one who it is focussed on but it’s written from the mum’s point of view. Laurie acts a bit rude. He goes to school for the first time and that’s how he gets to be this way. The mum is a worried sort of mum who isn’t sure about her son going to school and the influences he might get.
- In this story the mum wants to relax about her son going to school. She wants to make sure that he is getting something out of school and enjoying it rather than not learning and dreading going to school. I think Laurie wants to have fun at school and make friends but isn’t into the learning so much and the stories he brought home to his parents about Charles were just made up to maybe make him feel better about his own behaviour at school.
- In the end the mum finds out that Charles is a made up student and Laurie has been making up stories about a naughty kid in his class. I think she found out that not everything Laurie says about school is true and if she isn’t there to see and witness everything that goes on at school she can never be too sure. Laurie ends up getting caught and found out about his false stories about Charles but, as his teacher told his parents, he took a week or so to settle in but he soon adjusted to the school’s environment.
- At the start, the mum wasn’t too sure about what was going on at school but she believed Laurie’s stories about Charles and how he got punished but at the time she didn’t know he was making it up. At the end of the story she found out, via the teacher, that Charles wasn’t real and Laurie had being lying to her. She has now learned not to be too trusting about every story or piece of information about school her son tells her. This story has a message about parents who don’t completely know what’s going on when they’re not there and how their child can bend the truth or change it completely. In this case it was about a school boy and his mum wondering about the things he’s telling her about school.
- This author creates an atmosphere of an average school boy and his mother. The author also included the father being the less worrying parent and less of a main character. He doesn’t delve as deep into the situation as the mum does when she investigates at the P.T.A meeting. I think this is because he didn’t go to the meeting and he didn’t listen to as many of the Charles stories as the mum did. I think maybe the school has a bit of a bad influence on Laurie because after his first day of school he had a ruder attitude towards his family. This is a world where the schools have physical punishments such as spanking as well as normal school punishments.
This week’s prompt is:
cushion, scarlet, annoying, watered, violin
I lay down on the sofa on an annoying cushion. I got back up in a rush. I had nothing to do and then I realised mum had specifically asked me to water her plant at 5:00. My eyes drifted over to the clock. It was 5:17. I looked the room over and soon spotted the scarlet flowers. I ran to the kitchen to fill up a glass of water but I tripped over a haphazardly placed violin and music sheets. I pursued my run to the kitchen, filled up a glass and, after making my way back carefully this time, poured it into the pot. Done. Watered.